Sonae Retail total sales grew 7.6% compared to last year, to 6,317 million euros, showcasing the success and leadership of the Group’s several businesses. All retail businesses posted growth, with special mention to the performance of Sonae MC and Worten.
- All retail business units in Sonae posted strengthened growth throughout 2018, contributing in a positive manner for the year’s record sales. Sonae retail sales increased 7.6% in 2018, to €6,317 M, as growth accelerated during the last quarter of the year to 9.3%. This performance translated an ongoing improvement in the value propositions of several business units, the expansion of convenience formats, the investment in ecommerce/omnichannel and the success of the implemented operational improvements.
- In Sonae MC, the food retail unit, sales increased 7%, surpassing for the first time 4 billion euros in the year as a whole. This evolution is the result of LfL sales growth and the reinforcement of proximity stores, as Sonae MC has been able to continue to strengthen its leadership in a very competitive market.
- Worten, the electronic retail unit, registered 1.1 billion euros in sales, posting a 7.6% growth in 2018 and 8.2% in the 4Q18. Worten strengthened its leadership position in Portugal and boosted its e-commerce activity, where the company registered a double-digit growth both in Portugal and in Spain.
- Sonae Sports & Fashion ended a challenging year with a strong performance in the last quarter, above market references, reaching an 7.8% growth compared with the last three months of 2017, and 1.9% y.o.y..
- ISRG, the Iberian "number two” sports retailer that includes Sport Zone, had its brands reaching €610 M in sales, registering a y.o.y. growth of 15.9%.
- It should be noted that the online sales of Sonae Retail businesses grew around 30% in 2018, surpassing €150 M, with a strong contribution from Worten, Sonae MC, ISRG and Salsa.
See full communication attached